clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

2017 4-Star Wing Chaundee Brown lists Maryland basketball in his top four

The 6'5" Chaundee Brown is choosing between Maryland, Florida, Kansas and Wake Forest.

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

Maryland is once again a finalist to land one of the top players in the Class of 2017. Chaundee Brown, a four-star shooting guard out of Orlando, Fla., released his top-four schools in a tweet on Friday.

Maryland is the lone Big Ten program that made the cut for the Brown, who is also considering Florida, Kansas and Wake Forest. Indiana had extended an offer to Brown, but didn't make his top four.

The 6'5" Brown is listed as a shooting guard by 247Sports and a small forward by ESPN, although both sites have him as a four-star recruit and one of the top three players in Florida. Brown is 41st overall on ESPN's Top 100 for 2017. 247 Sports' Crystal Ball currently has Kansas as favorites with a 67 percent chance to land Brown, while Florida has the remaining 33 percent of votes.

Brown's recruitment has really picked up since he began playing for Nike South Beach on the AAU circuit this spring.

"It has been a good spring," Brown told Brian Snow of Scout.com in May. "I switched teams. I just thought it was a better fit for me. I think I am playing well right now, and I want to get better, but so far it has been a good spring."

Maryland assistant coach Cliff Warren has been the lead recruiter towards Brown. but the Terps didn't extend an offer until May 18 after head coach Mark Turgeon saw Brown play.

"(Warren) wanted the head coach to see me play and I thought that was smart," Brown told InsideMDSports. "Coach Turgeon watched me play a couple of times and he offered me on a Wednesday. I was getting out of school when he called and offered me."

Brown has already been on the Maryland campus, having taken an unofficial visit to College Park in January.

"It was nice. The school is nice, it’s different from Florida because it’s cold there," Brown told InsideMDSports of his visit. "Everything is nice. I went when they played Ohio State and they spanked them by 30."

In a separate InsideMDSports interview, Anthony Ricks, one of Brown's AAU coaches, broke down his game.

"He's a power guard," Ricks said. "He's 6'5", about 200 pounds. Rock solid. He has the ability to score at the front of the rim, but he can score on all three levels. He's really good shooting from three. He has the ability to defend from the one to the four. He's very versatile in that respect. But like a lot of guys his age, he has the ability to put the ball in the hole."

Brown told Snow of Scout.com that he is looking for a school where he can use that athleticism.

"I am just looking for a good coaching staff at a place that really wants me," Brown told Snow. "Also I am looking for a school that plays at a fast pace and competes on defense."