clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Minnesota Recruiting Update: April 21

Golden Gophers recruit lands in Top-60 of 247Sports class of 2017 rankings

NCAA Basketball: Big Ten Conference Tournament-Michigan vs Minnesota Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

It was another dry week in the recruiting world for the Minnesota Golden Gophers — at least for the basketball program. The football program is making some noise on the recruiting trail currently.

But there were a few headlines from the past week or so that should be recognized by the Golden Gophers faithful. These headlines include a signed recruit being recognized as one of the Top-60 players in the country and another prized recruit from the state of Minnesota reopening his recruitment.

Washington ranks No. 58 in final Top247 rankings

The final 247Sports rankings for the class of 2017 came out on Wednesday and Isaiah Washington, Minnesota’s top recruit for the class of 2017, finished as the No. 58 overall recruit. The 6-foot, 162-pound point guard moved up from the previous rankings to crack the list’s top 60 players.

Washington, a four-star recruit from Bronx, New York, ranks as the No. 13 point guard in the class of 2017 and earned Mr. Basketball in the state of New York. Washington signed with the Golden Gophers back in September over the likes of DePaul, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, Providence and Seton Hall.

Washington is one of two future Golden Gophers in the class of 2017, including three-star shooting guard Jamir Harris. The class ranks No. 9 in the Big Ten, but that is mostly because they only have two recruits signed on.

Washington has been the prized recruit of this class so this isn’t necessarily groundbreaking news, but it’s at least a positive note to see he climbed into the Top-60 of these rankings.

Minnesota Mr. Basketball reopens recruitment

When there’s a coaching change it only makes sense that a recruit wants to change his commitment. That isn’t always the case, but it is with Minnesota Mr. Basketball three-star point guard McKinley Wright.

Wright announced last week that he would like to be released from his Dayton letter of intent via Twitter. Wright cited the coaching change in his Twitter post as the reason for why he’d like to reopen his recruiting.

Wright won Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota this past year, and had an offer from Minnesota before choosing Dayton. However, the Golden Gophers have signed another point guard recruit in Washington so there may not be a spot for Wright at Minnesota.

Odds are that Wright won’t end up in a Golden Gophers uniform when this is all said and done. 247Sports gives Minnesota a 14 percent chance in its crystal ball predictions behind Indiana at 36 percent and Dayton at 50 percent. It would certainly make sense that Wright follows Archie Miller to Indiana, but if there is a way for Minnesota to make room for him then I wouldn’t be shocked if he stays close to home.