Can a person possibly have all of the holiday and sports feels at one time because after last night, I can't contain my corn fed cheer. Like I mentioned on Sunday, Fran McCaffery has not beaten those pesky Spartans since the 2010-11 season; so I have not seen Tom Izzo completely lose his marbles against the Hawkeyes since I graduated and left Iowa City. That is fair too long.
But, that is all over now, as the now 10-3 Iowa Hawkeyes kicked the undefeated (and Valentine-less) Spartans into a long, stone-walled wishing well/Game of Thrones Sky Window.
THIS IS IOWA CITY!
The effort from McCaffery's team was absolutely astounding throughout the entirety of last nights tilt. A knock out performance that I've been churning for since Uthoff was eligible to play:
- Four players in double figures: Peter Jok had 19, Uthoff had 10, Nicholas Baer had 10 and Mike Gesell, the demigod, poured in 25 of his own.
- Iowa shot 48.2% from the field, 46.2 % from long distance (6-13) and 74.2% from the free throw line (going to the line 31 times... something that I'm sure drove Izzo absolutely nuts).
- The Hawkeyes blocked 11 of Michigan State's shots (six coming from Jarrod Uthoff).
- Iowa NEVER trailed in this game. NEVER. They also led by as much as 19 points.
- This was the first win over a No. 1 ranked team since 1999, when the Hawkeyes beat UConn. This was also Iowa's first win over the best team in the country in front of a home crowd.
- This loss was so devastating for the Spartans that Izzo actually said, "It was one of the rare times in my career I thought we got, for a lack of a better choice of words, punked." PUNKED! IOWA PUNKED SPARTA!